The following terms and conditions apply to all group courses / classes / workshops held by Calmer Companions.
By making a booking using the links provided to you, you acknowledge that you have read, understood and fully accept our terms and conditions as detailed below:
When time allows before the first class, we will send you confirmation of your booking. This will confirm payment, start date, and give other information pertinent to your booking.
Booking confirms your attendance for the six week course. Please make every effort to attend each week. If you are unable to attend, please let your tutor know as soon as possible.
During Covid-19 pandemic conditions, booking confirms your attendance at online Puppy School / SuperPup classes if venues are subject to closure or your tutor contracts the virus.
Fees and Prices:
The full course fee must be paid in advance of joining the class. Failure to pay in a timely fashion may result in your place on the course being given to another client.
Price advertised at time of booking applies.
Training Class Attendance:
- Puppies and dogs must be vaccinated. Your vet will advise when it is safe for your puppy to attend. If you are unsure about vaccinations please consult your vet directly. This is for the safety of your puppy/dog and therefore no exceptions can be made. It is your responsibility to have your puppy/dog vaccinated. (NB: We do not consider homeopathic nosodes an acceptable alternative to conventional vaccines.)
- Our courses consist of 6 weekly classes, rather than a roll-on, roll-off programme or random attendance. For optimum results, we hope that you will attend all the classes and complete the course.
- Only puppies under the age of 20 weeks on the start date of the course will be accepted at Puppy School.
- Only puppies that have attended a Puppy School course can attend our follow-on course, SuperPup. (Puppies that have attended other similar courses may be allowed at your trainer’s discretion).
- Occasionally, we may find that a class environment does not suit a puppy/dog or owner. Full discussion over the best way to proceed will be undertaken and this may result in us making alternative arrangements to assist you.
- We encourage older children to attend our classes as we consider this to be in the best interest of all puppies/dogs attending. However, we cannot guarantee their presence at every class for the purposes of socialising the puppies/dogs present. All children must be under the supervision of a responsible adult who must agree to prevent them from disturbing the process of learning during the class. Tutors reserve the right to ask that disruptive children do not attend future classes. Children under 5 years of age may attend only at the discretion of the tutor.
- During Puppy School courses, although we make every effort to allow your puppy to play with other suitable puppies in the class for short periods, we cannot guarantee the right mix of puppies on every course for this to be done safely. Consequently, puppy play may not occur in all classes.
- We make every effort to ensure safety of both clients and dogs during the classes. By making a booking, you are accepting that participating in an activity with dogs, children and adults poses a risk of injury to yourself and your dog, and you agree to indemnify Calmer Companions and Puppy School for all personal injury and damage to property owned by you while attending the training classes. You also agree to make any person who accompanies you to the class aware that they are also there at their own risk.
- Missed classes cannot be taken by joining another group run by the tutor at the appropriate time as there may not be spare places and it is disruptive to the other group to have an unfamiliar dog join part-way through the course.
- The Calmer Companions and Puppy School method of training relies heavily on rewards with food treats. Although we will have some treats available at the class, it is important to bring with you a supply of tasty, smelly food treats that your puppy/dog will work hard for and is used to eating.
- All puppies and dogs must remain on lead and kept away from contact with other dogs within the premises unless specifically instructed by the tutor.
- All instances of accident or injury must be reported to the tutor at the time they occurred.
- Well fitted harnesses are permitted in class but may need to be removed during puppy play. Please bring a suitable collar so that you have an alternative to the harness. Flexi leads are not permitted in class to avoid injury to others. Head collars are not permitted in class to avoid injury to the dog’s neck and to avoid distraction during training.
- The following items are NOT PERMITTED in Calmer Companions training classes and Puppy School / SuperPup classes under any circumstances: choker chains and/or check chains of any description; electronic training collars including citronella; any other device that causes discomfort, pain or fear to the puppy/dog; prong or pinch collars; slip leads; any equipment that the trainer deems unacceptable. The use of physical force and punishment-based training or behaviour modification techniques will not be used and are not permitted in Calmer Companions and Puppy School classes.
- Calmer Companions uses modern, reward-based and ethical behaviour modification and training techniques.
Refunds and Cancellations:
- If a training class is cancelled or postponed due circumstances outside of your Trainer’s control, for example (but not limited to) illness, extreme weather or a problem on route – for example (but not limited to) snow, flooding, fire, car break down, traffic incidents/road closures that cause significant delay or other circumstances that adversely affect attendance by your Trainer – you will be contacted as soon as possible to advise you of the cancellation/postponement. An alternative option may be to run that particular class online or to postpone it – your Trainer will advise which option is being put in place. If an online option is undertaken, a refund will not be issued if you do not want to continue via this format.
- Please ensure you have provided your mobile number to your Trainer as any cancellation/postponement will be advised of by phone/text message in the first instance.
- Because we operate our classes using a very low tutor: dog ratio, refunds may not be given for any cancellations unless the place can be filled by another client or unless at least 7 DAYS NOTICE is given. There are no exceptions. We may be able to transfer or defer your place to another course but this is at the discretion of the tutor and dependant on the age of your puppy at the start of the next available course. Failure to notify us of a cancellation within this time frame will result in no refund. Refunds for courses cancelled prior to starting a course as advised above, are subject to the deduction of a 20% administration fee.
- Failure to attend a course that you have booked a place on, but not yet paid for, will result in a request for full payment, which you agree to be liable for.
- There will be no refund for cancellations due to lack of vaccination or no vaccination card, unless we are notified 14 days in advance of the course commencing. It is your responsibility to have your puppy/dog fully vaccinated and health warranted.
- There will be no refund if you attend the first Puppy School class with a puppy that is over the age limit and are then subsequently turned away.
- There will be no partial refunds for missed classes.
- All other cancellation and refund requests are at the discretion of the tutor and dependent on individual circumstances.